Unrivaled Review strives to help you become a profitable entrepreneur online. To do so and help support the site, some links in this post may be affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost to you. Sometimes you will even get them cheaper. Read our disclosure for more.
If you’re looking for a new Website Host, then Bluehost will be in the running. Before you sign up to a plan, you may be wondering if you can cancel it to prevent being tied in for the long-term. Having built numerous websites using Bluehost, I’ve spent a lot of time researching them and their offerings. Here is what I have been able to find out on the topic.
So, can you cancel Bluehost at any time? Yes – it is possible to cancel your Bluehost plan at any time during your contracted term. You can even claim a full refund if this is within the first 30 days following signup. All you need to do is contact the Bluehost support team that are accessible 24/7. However, if you have had your plan for longer than 30 days, if you decide to cancel your plan, it will run for the remainder of the term and you will only be able to apply for a prorated refund.
Bluehost is an excellent and reliable domain and hosting provider for any type of website. Whether you are building out Affiliate Niche Sites, Blogging, Content Marketing or are looking to build out a Business Website.
Let us know take a closer look at the cancellation and refund policy so you can understand how it all works if you do decide to go ahead.
Bluehost Cancellation and Refund Policy
With Bluehost, you can cancel your account at any time during the contract. If this falls within 30 days of signup, you will be eligible for a full refund.
The great news is that if you decide you want to cancel your hosting plan before the end of its term, you will not be liabale to any renewal fees. This means you can shop for the best deal there and then when your hosting expires. (Consider that you would need to migrate your site if you decided to move it further down the line).
Additionally, you can also get a significant discount by signing up to a long term plan. Generally, the longer you sign up for the more discount you will get. So for example, a hosting plan for 36 months works out a lot cheaper than one for 12 months (month on month comparison).
One thing to note about the refund is that you will only get the refund on the Hosting, and not for any additional costs like Domain purchases. As domains are typically provided free of charge – this should not be an issue.
Before you can cancel you will need to have your account password at hand and your account email address must be up to date.
Finally, it is a good idea to have several backups of your site, including all files and databases. This is because as part of the cancellation, Bluehost will be deleting such data from their systems.
If you want your site to stay active, you will also need to point your name servers to another hosting provider (and plan that you may be setting up).
Qualifying for the BlueHost’s 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
BlueHost provide a full 30-day money back guarantee to all new hosting plans. So whether you are a new customer, or simply take out a new plan, you’re covered. that allows you to cancel your account at any time for a refund, given the following terms:
Here are some things to know:
- Full refunds are provided if you cancel within 30 days following signup
- If you cancel once 30 days have passed, you may be able to claim a prorated refund for the remainder of your hosting plan term. You will need to speak to Bluehost if this is the case.
- There are no refunds on domain name registrations. This means you will retain ownership even if you cancel your hosting. You can either leave the domain with Bluehost or transfer it to another registrar of your choosing.
- There are no cancellation fees nor obligations to commit to your plan beyond the initial terms and agreements.
How to Cancel Your Bluehost Plan
If you decide at any point that Bluehost is not for you and your site, you can cancel using one of the following options:
- Online Webchat
- Raising a Support Ticket
- Calling the Bluehost support team accessible at: (888) 401-4678
- Not renewing at the end of your current term.
Once you raise the request for cancellation using one of the methods above, you will receive an email asking for you to confirm and proceed.
This email will contain a unique link that takes you into your BlueHost account (following sign-in) where you will confirm your details and commit to the cancellation.
It is during this step that you may need to update information within your account.
If you wanted to get your plan cancelled from the end of your current terms from within your Account itself, this is how you would do it:
Step #1: Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
Step #2: Click the account icon in the top right-hand corner, then click Products from the drop-down.
Step # 3: Click the Renew button next to your Hosting account.
Step #3: Choose Do Not Renew from the renewal options presented.
Step # 4: Select a reason for cancellation (which is optional to provide feedback) then click the Continue button.
Cancellation Best Practices
- Take several backups of your website (files, databases, emails etc) ahead of any request for cancellation. Store them on your PC and a backup.
- Ensure you point your name servers to another hosting provider before cancellation if you want your site to remain live.
- Ensure all information in your account is correct and up to date. Specifically your email which is part of the cancellation process.
- Consider any domain names and additional prodicts you have registered with Bluehost. Consider what you may need to do with these and be wary of their own expiration dates.
So, is it possible to cancel your Bluehost plan at any time? Absolutely.
This makes it completely risk free and worth a try at the very least. Having personally built many sites utilizing Bluehost; I can honestly say there is no need to look anywhere else.
With a free SSL, domain name, discounted hosting rates on all plans, one click WordPress installs and fantastic support (along other benefits) signing up just makes sense.
Get your exclusive signup bonuses with Bluehost and get your site online today by clicking here.